Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

"I chose to drink" vs. "I slipped" vs "????"

I've yet to make sense of what I think is right......so here's your chance to mold my brain!!! lol

Sitting at a table.....goin' around.....a guy tells how he "slipped" a couple days ago and had a couple drinks.
--Next guy says, "you didn't slip....that implies it was and accident and you weren't at all responsible.....you CHOSE to go back out again."
--Everyone at the table nods in agreement.

Sitting at another table a week or two later... same guy from above tells how he "chose to take a drink..that he used to think it was a slip but now he sees that he chose to not work the program and he got drunk."
--New group of "everyone" at the table nods in agreement.

Now.....from what I've read here over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... (lol).... neither of these statements are right. He lost his choice in drink....so he didn't choose to drink. I also don't like the term "slipped" - maybe I need to get over that but maybe neither is right? I dunno...

I want to know what the AA Program of Recovery says about this......what's in the first 164 that I've missed the half dozen times I've read it that explains this. What can I tell this new guy.... "he didn't slip, he didn't choose, he.....XXXXXX"

I'm also going to call my sponsor and my great grand sponsor and ask them. My sponsor isn't a "thumper" by any stretch....but my gg-sponsor IS. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

BB thumpers unite...... enlighten me please. I juts picked up a new sponsee yesterday and I want to have this concept straight (or at least "more" straight) in my head before he and i meet tonight.

thx.