View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by keepcominback View Post
My sponsor told me that it is not God as you understand him to be God as your interpretation of God, but rather God, as you understand him, meaning however limited your understanding of him be at this point...like how well you understand him.

as you understand Him.

Not as you understand him to be.

Who knows what Bill meant when he wrote as you understand him.

Boleo?

Others?

My sponsor could be wrong in her interpretation, or it's just how she sees it.
Well, here goes. If I read this correctly, my first thought is that if I only accept a god of "my" understanding, god is limited to my understanding. If I only accept a god that I can relate to and/or agree with, then my god can only exist in the limits and boundaries my mind can imagine. Therefore, I'm to be content with the god I construct according to my self will.

I understand why the Big Book suggests that we come to an understanding in the way it does. Most people in AA have a deep resentment toward organized religion which in their mind, demands obedience to a god that isn't of their understanding, and they rebel. So, allowing AAs to pick and choose is better than nothing. At some point though, at least with me, I realized that a god of my understanding is limited by my understanding and that in order for me to grow spiritually, I had to take a chance, give up the god of "my" understanding and accept the idea that God is everthing, or He's nothing. God identified Himself as "I AM, WHO AM." God just is!! He's everthing! No limits, no boundaries. I thought to myself, when I wanted to stop drinking, I went where there were people who knew how to stop drinking. If I want to expand my knowledge and understanding of God, I need to go where there are people who know and understand God better than I do. Simple as that! I ask questions and express doubts but as with AA, my questions are answered and supported by biblical evidence which today I choose to believe and accept. Also, as I was told when I came to AA, that I had to change my playground and my playmates, I find myself doing that all over again and I love my new playground and playmates. I'm excited and proud to know a God today who I believe is omnipotent and who just IS.