Thread: AA dilemma
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stephnc

AA dilemma

Disturbing situation...I'd love some input. I go to several different AA meetings every week, some in my own town and some in another town that's close by. A man started attending meetings in this other town a few months ago and started becoming friendly with the regulars, seemed like a nice enough guy. I've never spoken to him personally but I had commented to my bff (also an alkie in AA who happens to live in this other town next to mine) that I thought he was cute. No big deal.

Well anyway, the guy started flirting w/my bff about a week ago...kind of started cozying up to her and running into her around town outside of meetings...again, not really a big deal since my bff already has a boyfriend. But of course the boyfriend noticed that this guy was flirting with my bff and was concerned since this guy had admitted to being in jail before he got sober (he'd mentioned it in meetings.) So my bff's boyfriend did a little digging on the internet, and discovered that this guy...the newcomer...had recently moved to our area from another part of the state - where he had not only served jail time for violently assaulting at least one woman, but he was also a suspect in a local murder.

My bff and her boyfriend are both beside themselves over this and feel that the people in the local AA meetings (particularly the women) should be warned about him. I'm not sure what to think...I mean, it's a fact that alcoholics - like people from all other walks of life - sometimes do terrible things, get punished for them, then have to get on with their lives. I'm wondering how people - specifically people in AA -make a distinction between being reasonably cautious about someone who could be a danger to them and engaging in character assassination.

My head is spinning over this. Sorry if it's too off-topic. Thoughts?