View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magichappens
Dancing To My Own Beat

That is a great question Angela. It was suggested to me to get a sponsor to help me work the steps. I am glad that I did. I picked someone who had been in Al-Anon a while ( 24 years ) and who seemed to handle things the way I would like to handle things. I got as much literature on the steps as I could. Then I started with step 1. I would read, and ask questions. It seemed like I just couldn't understand or "get it." Then something would click. I called my sponsor and discussed what I had come to understand. Then I moved on. I am on step 9 right now. I am using the same procedure. I will study and do what I can, and when I feel I am comfortable with it, I will move on.
Everyone does things different. Reading, learning, applying, getting a sponsor, they are all things that people do when they are ready. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you hear a suggestion that doesn't fit, don't worry. It's just a suggestion. You may want to try it later, or you may never do it.
Everyone's journey through recovery is their own. Just start somewhere. It really doesn't matter where. There is no finish line, and no time limit. Someone told me a long time ago, " Easy does it, but do it." Be good to yourself. Just try to make each day as good as possible. Hugs, Magic