Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I am not an attorney, but I believe that as long as you are married, your spouse's care (and the financial burden that goes along with that) falls into your hands. It may be best to seek the advice of a qualified attorney and begin divorce proceedings immediately.

When my boyfriend was in the final stages of alcoholism, things did not get better over time; his mental and physical ailments due to alcoholism continued to take their toll, resulting in a rapid progression downhill. Since I had never married him (and I thank my HP for that), I asked him to move out of my home. I didn't want to be responsible for taking care of an invalid or his finances. He found a small apartment near the hospital so he could get to his doctors' appointments, and took care of himself as best he could until he passed away.

I was not responsible for his medical and hospital bills or for obtaining or paying for a home care nurse or nursing care facility, which is as it should be, since I was not responsible for his drinking.

Find an attorney where the first consultation is free. Perhaps there are even attorneys who specialize in helping the victims of alcoholic loved ones. Hugs from a woman who's been in your shoes. I know it's heartbreaking, confusing, worrisome, guilt-inducing, and hard.

The best advice I can offer you is to protect yourself from further harm.