View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GettingStronger2

The costs of our actions

So this has been on my mind a lot lately, and wanted to post it for thoughts. ..or just reflection. Bear with me if it is a bit random!

As recovering addicts/alcoholics, and those trying to recover, we have to learn to take responsibility for our actions, choices and decisions. Most of us avoided doing that for a long time.

Alongside taking responsibility for our actions, we have to learn how to deal with justifiable anger against those who do wrong to us or hurt us. I am dealing with a lot of this right now. I do have a justified reason to be upset, I was wronged -- severely, intimately and maliciously. I am angry and hurt. Who wouldn't be. But I have to decide, what do I do? Do I try to get even, do I take action against those who have slighted me? I have reason.

But when we act, or react, we cause other things to happend to other people, sometimes innocent ones. Our actions have consequences. There is a cost to others and to ourselves.

Are we ready to deal with those? Have we thought those through before we act? Can we live with what could happen as a direct result of our resentment and anger, no matter how justified it is?

I don't want to live with those anymore. So for today, I will let it go, and let God. I don't need to react. I can find peace, even in the face of justifiable anger. I can let it all go without reacting. I can spare the cost to someone else, and possibly to myself.

Hope this makes sense to someone out there.

amy