Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
meditation

There is much assumption that drug addiction is about seeking illegal drugs on the street. To be truly educated about addiction is to know that it occurs to people that are medically prescribed the stuff for those "real" diseases and ailments. To open one's eyes to see that addiction can happen to anybody and it's not a moral failure.

I don't see much hope if I try to guilt someone with an acquired disease over a genetic born disease that they should be treated lesser person for having gone thru addiction and recovered. In other words those people born with problems are more valued than those of us that got the disease later in life maybe by following our doctors orders.

I am not trying to excuse a person that has been offered help over and over and over and refuses to try. But there is some evidence out there that the disease of alcohol and addiction is a genetic one and I really want to save every person that has this affliction and value them. I really am addressing more the recovered restored to sanity addict. Not that help should not be given by society to help those that are still insane.

More education is needed.