Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

I work with people who suffer from Parkinson's disease, Cancer, MS, crippling dystonia, Lou Gherrigs disease... there's a lot of bad stuff out there - things that are even worse than drug addiction. I have worked with children who have been horribly abused by drug addicts and non-drug addicts as well. I have a friend whos child was born without an ear or a chin and his kidneys are failing. He's 2. And my 13 year old nephew is dying from severe juvenile diabetes.

For most of these diseases there is no cure, no remission, no possibility of anything but chronic slow painful death. There is less hope for them to recover than there is for drug addicts to recover.

The patients I work with did not disobey ALL WARNINGS and COMMON KNOWLEDGE about the fact that illegal drugs are bad for them. They did not actively search out their disease. They are desperate for help.

I don't worry too much about other people's opinions. I just try to make a difference however I can. I have no time for martyrs or for people who don't want help. In the end, drug addiction is a disease of choice. There are only so many resources to go around to help cure the problems in the world. And there are too many people out there who are innocent victims, and actual need help AND want help.

Oh. And did I mention I'm a recovering crack addict?