View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

I imagine that all of us have either tried controlled drinking or thought about it. I tried it twice after several years of sobriety both times. I think it was OK (and fun) the first time or two. But what began as "just drinking on this occassion" became drinking on similar occasions, and slowly but surely stretching every boundary until I was back at it, if not worse.

The problem for me is that when the occasion comes and goes and I'm sober again, I'm back at that uncomfortable place of wanting to have a drink. When your vacation is over, how soon will it be before you want another vacation? What if you have a three or four-day weekend? Is it OK to drink then? What about holidays, etc. etc...... If you can control it on vacation, does that mean you can have just a few on Friday nights?

That would be the thinking that I would have. So I'm just throwing that out there. It's hard for me sometimes to accept that things feel a little more mundane, but that's the time when I get out my attitude of gratitude. I also try to accept that it's not just about me all the time.

Thanks for your post - I really do hope that you have a good vacation.