View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
milwaukeeguy85
EntertheSticks

Sound to me like you are trying to "control" your drinking, Something I have battled with for years. I am not speaking for you by any means, but this is what I have gone through when trying to moderate.

#1- This is the first time you drink after a layoff. Generally this time goes pretty well as you have satisfied your desire to drink. You tend to take it a little easier this time since you realize that you have a problem and you are putting your best foot forward to make sure you "control" your drinking. To be honest this is usually a really fun time and doesn't cause you the hurt and problems (which is the reason we all quit drinking) and sounds like what you are trying to do on your trip.

#2- You decide that since you made it without any hangups the first time, that you are now able to "control" your drinking a little better. This time is sort of satisfying but you start to get a bit towards your old tendancies. I consider #2 a way of "cheating" to get yourself back in to the terrible life that you have tried to separate yourself from. This could include watching a monday night football game and having a few, a cocktail party, A beer at the beach, etc etc etc.

#3- Now that you can officially "control" your drinking you think that once again you are now able to partake the same way that non alchies do. This is where it all hits the fan and you will reveal that you are the same POS (when you drink) that everyone hated and more importantly hate yourself. When I first came to this site it was the day after #3 had occurred (for about the 50th time in my life).

I am not going to babysit you or tell you what or what not to do. But what I am going to tell you is that it doesn't matter WHERE you have that drink. Your body is the same whether you are in Dallas, Milwaukee, or Tokyo Japan. Location is irrelevant. You are still you no matter what. What you need to realize that once you make an "exception" it will keep opening the doors to make more and more "exceptions" until you are back to that terrible place you were before you made the great decision to STOP. I do not even know why you stopped, but I will say that giving in is a terrible idea. You have worked WAY TO HARD to make it where you are right now. I am at 10 days and it feels like a year and a half, but I have been trying to quit off and on for the last 2.5-3 years to no avail. This time I am taking it seriously (ie NO EXCEPTIONS) and by giving in you are UNDERMINING all that struggle and hard work you have put in to get to where you are now. Just think about where you were and how you felt the 1st DAY you stopped and that should hopefully convince you otherwise. You cannot reason with Alcohol, and so many of us have tried to reason with it again and again and have failed EVERY time.