View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Harry01854

Originally Posted by redstuff View Post
Sober for a little over a year and 3 months. I am fine in my usual environment and don't really have strong urges to drink most of the time, but when I go on vacation something changes and I really want to and wonder if it would be okay. I want to so much that it occupies the majority of my thoughts and makes me miserable that I'm not allowed to mostly because other people would be upset if I did. I feel like I'm on vacation and the only real way for me to enjoy it is if I was able to drink. I am of the mind set that once I was back in my normal routine environment I would be fine and not need to again. What advice can you give me?
First, thank you for sharing this because I'm sure that the replies will help, but not only you, also others that may be thinking the same thing.

For me, I am an alcoholic, it is very dangerous for me to think that I can drink in safety. I know that one drink will only lead up to more, till I'm drunk and then my past life will be refunded to me in full. And upon reaching that point, everything is sure to get worse than what it was 10 years ago. I do not wish or want to go there again.

I can only suggest that you tell your own alcoholic story to yourself and then see if you think you still want to drink again.

Harry