View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pond86

opinions on my dad, please

Hello everyone.

I'm writing to ask for your opinions on my dad and his drinking. I'm 23, and I don't have a problem with alcohol.

Alright so, here's what's going on with my dad.

My mom left him a few months ago. He took it pretty hard, but it was basically the easiest divorce I've ever heard of. It's taking my dad a while to over all the emotional hurdles.

Background info:
The thing about my dad, he's always been a drinker. He's never been abusive. He's never missed a day of work because of drinking. But it was one of the reasons my mom left. she doesn't like to drink. and I'll be the first to say my dad is really annoying when he's hammered. He just likes to have a good time and needs alcohol to enjoy himself.. He drinks and drives a lot, which upset my mom. but he's never been busted or gotten in an accident. Two of his brothers are alcoholics.. but basically the negative impact alcohol has had is minimal.

I'm worried now, since my mom left. He went from drinking 2-3 nights a week, to almost every day. He gets so bored and depressed and mopey at home, he needs a drink. Today he got drunk alone.. I came home, after he'd gone to bed, and I found two 60 oz. juggs of beer, (one empty) and two bottles of rum, (one almost empty). and there are more cans of beer in the fridge, still.

One instance, last month he came home and said he only had, "8 or 10 beers." before he went out for more. I couldn't talk him out of it, besides he basically had the whole conversation by himself.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any advice. What should I do or say to this guy to make him drink less??

Thanks for taking the time to read this