View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
24Years

Originally Posted by Jaguar55 View Post
Is that pretty accurate, seven days sober to begin experiencing their emotions again? I'm really interested in how that might work. I can't imagine not experiencing my feelings so I have no idea what it might be like when they come back after having been gone. Anyone able to tell me more about this? I talked to ABF tonight and asked him if he'd be willing to get sober for a few weeks so that if we were going to part ways for good that he would be making that decision while he had access to his feelings. Of course he does not admit that he can't access his feelings...
My AH was in intensive outpatient treatment this summer and I went once a week for 3 hours. It was there that feelings were discussed by the therapists. I can't say that they don't have feelings at all, but just that, as I'm sure you know, a drugged brain does not function the same as a brain not drugged. The best I could get out of the discussion is an alcoholic can be unaware of how they are numbing or escaping their feelings. As an example, they can be happy and want to drink and sad and want to drink. Dealing with the sadness at any depth (e.g. Taking time to understand why they are sad or dealing with the sadness in a healthy way) is all bypassed via drugging the brain. I hope that makes sense and is helpful to you in understanding another reason why the alcoholic is different from you (and why you notice that they don't seem to feel like you know you do).

Last edited by DesertEyes; 09-16-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote