View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

You know what scares me, is when I find myself having those feelings even today. Recently a friend was extremely hungover at work and said she didn't want to be a drunk. Instead of offering to talk with her about what she was going through, I kinda blew it off in this holier-than-thou manner. Paraphrasing, but I believe I said something like, "Then stop drinking. You didn't have to go out last night. Just stop being a moron."

I guess now that I have almost 6 months without the booze, I somehow think it's easy for other people to put down the bottle. I mean, I'm not really tormented by it any longer, so no one else should be, right?

But then I remember that it took me a long time and many mistakes to get here. Don't know how many times I said the exact same things she was saying to me, and here I was telling her to basically suck it up.

Upon realizing this, I approached her in a much more understanding way. Everyone at work knows I don't drink, and most people know why. I just told her that her life didn't have to be like that, it feels awesome to wake up every morning without a hangover, and if she ever needed anyone to talk I'd be there. I have to keep in mind that it took me many years of wanting to quit and being a no-good drunk before the light bulb went off.