View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tormentedmirror
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
You speak of being shallow, Torment...when I considered going to my first group meeting, I thought this way. I thought they were all going to be seedy drunks who you would likely see on the street with a brown paper bag in their hand. I thought they were below where I could possibly have ever been. You know what? They are all just like me, alcoholics who need help and they are all very kind and warm and helpful because they know just what I am going through. We may all look different from one another or live in a different house or have a different family but we all share one common bond. Once you realize that you are not above them and that they know what you are going through and once you admit that you are what you think that they are in some ways, you will realize that you are no longer alone.

None of us here are alone any longer because we have reached out to others like ourselves.

D.
I'm seeing that, I'm learning, and I'm a better person for it. I wish words could convey the appreciation I have for all of you. I read your experiences, read about your tough days, how hard it is for you sometimes, and I have a whole new respect for what you're going through. All I want to do now is say something that will help just one person get through a bad day.