View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Powerless...A Secular View

After reading the posts regarding powerlessness and what it means to many on this board, I was wondering if anyone in the secular arena had views on it.

I am still trying to decide whether I am a true "alcoholic". I know I have a severe problem with alcohol, to the point that I never want to drink again and made up my mind that I won't, but before I made that ultimate decision, I was powerless because I wanted to drink.

Do you feel the people who need to say they are powerless against alcohol before the first drink are people who in reality and maybe even subconciously still have a desire to drink? I mean for 27 years there was nothing I wanted more in life than to drink, and that is all I knew. There was no way I was going to quit and that's why I tried moderation unsuccessfully for so many years, because I could not fathom life without drinking. But when I finally decided that it wasn't going to be part of my life anymore, (gasp), then it has been a fairly easy process. I am not powerless at all unless I pick up the first one.

If this powerlessness is a tool to get people who really aren't sure they want to quit and it works, great, but maybe it doesn't pertain to every alcoholic. Or maybe I am not a true alcoholic to begin with.

Thoughts?