Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mama36
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by SWMNBN View Post

The problem is that I have been happily married for over 6 years. I have been fighting wit myself... do I tell my husband... don't I tell my husband. The guilt is killing me. But, it was a one time thing ... that I have never done before on anyone I have ever dated. And, it isn't something I would ever do again. So, do I tell my husband and lose all the trust that we have in each other? Or do I just sit on it... and nurse my own guilt... and remember that it was my decision... and I have to take responsiblity for my own life.

IMHO - We as alcoholics are not strong to begin with. How would we fathom dealing with, one, getting sober and two, getting sober with such guilt. There are times in our lives when we do something and we, imo, have to admit to those things in order to fix the underlying problems in our lives...ie: alcoholism. You are considering taking on a huge feat by taking on both guilt and alcoholism both at the same time.

There is nobody in this world who is perfect or who had made no mistakes whether it be infidelity or otherwise.

Is your husband aware of the severity of your drinking problem? If so, maybe he will be a bit more understanding of what you did. NO, I am not saying that drinking gives you an excuse for what has happened, but if you really and truly feel that you made this mistake because of drinking and are willing to take control of that drinking, maybe your husband will be willing to work through this with you.