Thread: Hi...New here
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by 3jen View Post
What I mean by that is just from what I have observed, I'm still learning about the process. About 3-4 wks ago he showed me this cell phone, and explained that it was the AA phone..that they had given him the responsibility of having the phone. His sponsor was the person in charge of it, but he had to leave town and gave it to my hubby to oversee. He still has it now, so it does not seem to rotate? Also, hubby told me about some of the veteran members asking him to meet with one of the new people and speaking to him about his experience. Hubby stated to me that he still considered himself pretty new and was kind of surprised that they asked him....
Nope, that's all pretty normal. I've not heard of a "group cell phone", but it isn't a bad idea--I guess when someone needs to contact the group that's a way to do it. Each group has its own way of doing things. My groups generally have "elections" for chairperson, secretary, treasurer, GSR, etc., once a year, and the other positions like greeter, anniversary person, literature person, coffee maker, Intergroup rep., etc., rotate kinda when we feel like it. Somebody is tired of the job or we want to get new people involved. And in my groups, as soon as someone has 90 days of sobriety we have them sharing their stories with the group, at rehabs, etc.

In AA, people are as involved as they want to be, and it's usually good for sobriety to stay that way. Not to mention the obligation we feel to make sure the meeting is there for whoever needs AA.