Thread: Where I Was
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep the ship on an even keel.

First let me echo the words of the previous thread,'great post!', lots of positive stuff about your sobrietyand daily SOBER existence, excellent!

For me two things were very important in the days after I stopped drinking, one, the disease is called alcohol-ISM, the booze is but a symptom, take it away and the -ISM's remain, which is why the advice which worked for me is ,'a day at a time' and to work however slowly on improving your spirituality, this is quite hard and no one can teach it to you, it's between you and the god of your understanding. The danger is if you don't enlarge your spirituality, and I'm not talking about any grand gestures all that happens is you end up a,'dry drunk' living on,'white knuckle sobriety' and that's no way to live.

I was also ,'good' to myself , although some my not see it that way, letting myself smoke cigarettes, drink cartons of soya milk and eat sweets (candy) getting some sleep and letting each day unfold whilst keeping up with my daily responsibilities, but we all make our own way at our own speed, so it's a bit like sailing a boat , done best if the ship (YOU) is kept on an even keel, and you're the skipper! Well done, Mike W.