View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GingerM

Loud sounds scare the bee-jesus out of her, she goes completely white, and her heart races and she gets way shakey for the next 15 minutes. a little ptsd? we'll have to has her councelor at next appointment.
According to the DSM, PTSD is caused by a single traumatic event. Unfortunately, there is no diagnosis for what I think of as "long term PTSD". My therapist lumped me into "general anxiety disorder" because that's all there really is for people like your neice and myself. I used to jump through the roof at loud sounds, sudden movements or people "suddenly" appearing. My childhood was filled with chaotic bouts of physical abuse also.

I'm on anti-anxiety meds. I resisted at first, but now am very glad that I'm on them. My therapist said that yes, I do have PTSD, but the DSM clearly indicates a *single* incident, not repeated incidents over time. Most likely, like me, her 'fight or flight' response is in a constant state of readiness. If her therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist thinks it's worth trying medications, I would recommend to her that she do so.

For me, what happened was that over time, my body got re-acclimated to not jumping through the roof. I still jump at certain things, but it doesn't cause that "15 minutes to get the adrenaline under control again" response. It's a rapid response with a rapid diminution of response (like "normal" people). It made my life less stressful. It brought my blood pressure and heart rate down. It made me less nervous to try new things and get out of my comfort zone.

She's heading to college - she's going to have many new things that will be frightening to her (this is my own experience at least). If you can get her where sudden change isn't adrenaline inducing, she will have a much easier time of it.

You're welcome to show her this post or tell her about it. I've been there, done that. My coworkers used to stomp as they approached me to make sure I didn't jump - it was that severe. Now they don't anymore. My husband used to have to tell me weeks in advance of any changes to our plans because it was so difficult for me. Now I can roll with the flow. It's a HUGE difference. It doesn't happen right away - the brain has to rewire itself after much time and experience of noting that not every loud sound is a threat.

Also, being "on alert" like that all the time is horrible on the body. It's bad for the heart, it's very hard on the digestive system (which is primed to "lighten the load" at any time), it's horrible for weight gain (body under stress produces hormones that say "we're in danger, pack on the extra calories in case we have to experience long-term hardship"). There's plenty more things that constant vigilance does to the body as well. In short - it shortens one's lifespan. So the drugs I'm on are not just to make me emotionally feel better - it's to help my overall physical health as well.

I feel for her. I think you're doing a great job. And yes, as Angelstory said, just being in a safe, sane environment will help her more than you can imagine. Being somewhere where healthy behaviors are modeled for her will be a huge help too. She is seeing that the life she led was not "normal" and that "normal" can be much different. You wouldn't have to have any talks at all - just letting her be with you is HUGE.