Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
In reply to KiethJ

I would ask, why don't you know this? I'll hazard a guess that it's because nobody is talking about it. And here is where I shake my head in frustration.

The final end result of AA's program of recovery is to have a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. That's what keeps AA members sober. And you are in a room full of people, and nobody mentions having had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. How can we possibly call that AA? It's the entire purpose for which we are gathered together. To share with another alcoholic how we have recovered, so that they can recover as well. And nobody mentions how they have recovered?
I am glad to hear someone talk about this. I have spent years aiming at a target which has "Spiritual Awakening" as it's bullseye. When I finally managed to hit the bullseye, I felt obligated to share my experience with others.

Low & behold, I found out most everyone else was aiming at a completely different target which had "abstinence" as it's bullseye. Now I catch hell from people for even talking about this target that they are not even aware exists.

A target I might add, which is not so unique to me. There is a 600+ page book written about it and still some people tell me I am suffering from delusions of grandeur.