View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NewGrowth

I was so overwhelmed, half-crazy from detox and terrified - I needed someone that I felt a connection with. Random wouldn't have made me feel safe or soothed enough to let go and start my step work. It helps that we share a common 'language' (movies, general life experiences and pop culture references) so we can simply talk without constantly asking each other 'what's that? was that a joke?'. I've been at meetings where people raised their hands to show their availability to sponsor. It didn't really help me because I didn't know them. God knew I was afraid and had me wait until I met a woman who I could relate to- plus I think he knew I was a high-risk rabbitter haha. I needed someone who had experiences so similar to mine, that I could no longer run from AA through a b.s. loophole in my thinking. I think, personally, I needed that connection first and the sponsorship second.

I can't say as to why fewer people raised their hands than you thought should have. Perhaps they all have five sponsees, just lost a spouse, aren't ready yet... the list is without end. If God can match me with a great sponsor, then I have faith he will work miracles for others as well. Perhaps there was a person there looking for a sponsor- but God wanted them to look elsewhere- where he had their best match waiting for them. Perhaps God told those people to keep their hands down this time. I am just an old drunk- God's powers and plans are beyond me