Thread: Friends
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Wow that sounds familiar...by the time i stopped i had pushed my family away so they couldnt help me out of another of my tight spots which would enable me to get back on my feet and start drinking again, had ensured that i would never be welcomed back at the bars again or by my drinking buddies and had one friend left in the world and that was an ex GF...

Long story short, she got into a new relationship and told me on Sunday night...i was a mixture of sad but happy for her and was not too far gone to see that our relationship as friends would obviously change and she was the very last person to leave/be pushed away...

At that point it was just me, i had no-one left to enable me and nothing to lose and the following Tuesday i walked into AA, found someone who had been sober a while (20 years) and seemed happy and asked them would they tell me how they did it and i would do whatever it took to copy what they had done...

Now 15 months later i know what a friend is, and have a few, and have a whole bunch of aquaintances who care about me, just got married, moving country and am slowly building bridges with family in a mature, sane and responsible manner...

If you had told me any of that would happen about 16 months ago i would have called you a couple of names and told you to **** off...see it can change with effort and willingness.