View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stephnc

I did not drink last weekend...

...and I am beyond grateful to this board, AA, and my higher power for helping me stay away from a drink during the last seven days.

I lived through exhibiting at my first craft show last Saturday, and while it was a great experience in lots of ways, I didn't make nearly as much money as I'd hoped or expected to...and frankly I was shocked. The stress of preparing for and doing the show combined with the disappointment over the lack of financial success put me into a dangerous and depressed frame of mind...a frame of mind that in the past would have - beyond the shadow of any doubt - caused me to not only drink, but drink heavily for several days.

I called my sponsor Saturday night, overwhelmed, angry, sad, hopeless...and I said something to the effect of "WHY CAN'T I HAVE JUST ONE G@D d@MNED SAM ADAMS? EFF WORD, EFF WORD, EFF WORD..." and she gently talked me down, then I proceeded to sleep for the next three days.

I finally started to snap out of my despair Wednesday afternoon, and I realized that I had never, ever, ever, ever been in such a bad state and not drank over it...it was just a miracle. God - whoever he or she is - truly did for me what I could not do for myself...I have no earthly idea how I managed to get through this past week without drinking. But I did. And for that I am truly grateful.