Thread: AA Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Buckley

AA Dilemma

Hi everyone,

I attended 3 meetings this week. I met a lot of really amazing people, and as I’ve mentioned in a few other posts, it was very inspiring and gave me a lot of strength. I exchanged numbers with some really cool women, and all in all, just feel really good about it.

BUT…

I gave my number to this woman, and she has been calling me every night since, asking me if I’m going to that night's meeting. I’m pretty positive her intentions are good, and her heart is in the right place, but as selfish as this sounds, this is something I want to do on my own. I don’t want to feel “coerced” into going to meetings, or feel obligated.

Last night she called me, and my friend and I were having a nice, sober evening baking cookies. When I told her that I wasn’t coming to last night's meeting, she got really snippy with me and told me that I should be going to 90 meetings in 90 days if I really want to “work the program.” I didn’t know what to say. She then proceeded to ask me if I was going to be attending tomorrow (tonight) night’s meeting, and I said yes, almost out of guilt. I felt like I failed even though I haven’t had a drink.

I know she is going to call me again tonight, and even though I was planning on going to the meeting (it’s a women’s meeting that I am really looking forward to), I don’t really want her calling me EVERY single night and telling me that I need to “work the program.” I don't want to offend her, or hurt her feelings.

Any advice? I hope I’m not sounding like an ungrateful brat.