Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jadmack25

I still don't know the answer. My XAH was a heavy drinker, his father was a whisky man, as was his brother......dad and bro died in their early 60's, XAH ligered on to past 82.

RABF has his dad, grand-dad and great grand-dad, all riproaring A's and only his dad ended up sober and staying so for his last 35 years.
His younger brother only recently admitted he did not touch alcohol, as what he did when drinking scared him enough to stop for good.

RABF had 2 sons, eldest shows no signs of any addiction, but younger son was a chip of the old block and drove into a tree while drunk, killing himself.

I can understand someone with a gene which predisposes them to some disease, IF they eat, drink or do something to "turn" that disease on....deciding NOT to go down the necessary path. But seeing the hell and misery picking up a drink brings the drinker and others involved, it seems inexplicable that the A keeps drinking.

I know it is so powerful a compulsion, because I have been part of it, and hate it with a passion, but I will never understand it.

God bless