View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Goat
capra laeviculus

I agree with all the comments above... and I think you need to let this take time.

You can't just expect her to adjust instantly.

She's known you as an active alcoholic for a long time, and she has come to expect a certain type of behavior from you. And a lot of this, I think is even subconscious. Until she has been with the sober you for long enough to rewrite her expectations of you, you can expect her to think of you and treat you as your active drinking self.

I don't think her behavior is abnormal, or even unhealthy. Of course you want her to see as clearly as you do that you've changed. That would really make you feel better about how badly you acted before. It would be a kind of absolution.

How about this: For the time it takes for her to adjust to the new you, use her attitude about you as a reminder that you don't want to go there again. Any time she thinks you might be lying, just remember "yeah, I was a liar, and I don't want to be anymore. That's why I don't want to drink".

Because trust me, you're gonna need reminders. Especially after you've been sober for a while. You will start to forget how bad it was and how bad you were. And danger lies there. Anything that helps you remember is a good thing.

Take your lumps, as was said before. And don't think less of her for giving you the lumps. She endured some pretty bad stuff for a long time.

But at the same time, it would really help for her to go to alanon or something. It would help her get her mind around the whole process, and understand a little better what you're dealing with.

-Goat