Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Hey dude.

If you're sober and happy about it then that is what counts, in my book. Take what you want, leave the rest behind. As long as your sober and you're happy about that then that's the thing that counts. Also I looked at many of the so called "recovered" alcoholics and listen to them preach at everybody and I think ""man, I really don't want to be like you!"

The vast majority of people that go into AA are never seen again. Certainly that's been my experince of AA over the past 16 months. Also it's the same clique of people in the meetings within a 30 mile radius of my town and surrounding cities and towns. That is somewhat depressing.

I think the problem that AA has is that the vast majority of people who go in are just bombarded with rhetoric and scared away thinking that it's just full of nutters preaching about GOD and substituting booze for the supernatural. Of course that's not the case (in many cases) but I came close to being scared off and demoralised and back into drinking more than once. I made sure I didn't, I had to stop going to AA to stay sober. AA did really help keep me sober too though, particularly in early sobriety.

I use AA meetings when I need them, I use AA daily in my life. It's a shame that people are made to feel uncomfortable in meetings when they have a positive message of recovery and could instill hope to other's still struggling, but because they don't work a militant 12 step program then others feel that they have power over them. I find that aspect of it a shame. I usually go to AA for a few weeks and really get on with everybody and then get asked to main share. It's a shame when politics have to get involved with AA. The politics of AA. They always say the only requirement for mebership is a desire to stop drinking, that needs to be remembered I think at times. It all voluntary anyway.

Also wpainterw it's so refreshing to hear somebody like yourself. You speak a great message man. You would inspire many, certainly inspire me.

Peace Out.