Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Taco:
If you've figured out the cause, then you are indeed a fortunate fellow. I can only speak for myself. Part of the cause was likely genetic (we've got quite a history in our families, both sides) part was cultural (the "cocktail" hour, which became very popular in the 1920's (I was born in 1927) created the notion that "adults" drink "cocktails" before dinner- that was what "adults" were supposed to do. Part was college (college was where you were supposed to "sew your wild oats". Part was damn foolishness on my part, getting to like the "buzz" from booze and feeling less shy, yes less shy with women (would you believe!); booze, I thought, helped me "fit in" with my peers; part was from the stress of the workplace after college, part was from the stress of becoming a parent, dealing with adolescent kids, and growing stronger throughout all those forty years, increasing denial, codependence, the whole can or worms.
So what's the "cause"? In AA they talk about "character defects", which you "remove" by resort to a "higher power". Well after I got sober I realized that some of my "personality characterstics" (like obsessive perfectionism, compulsive behavior, dependency on other persons, depression, negative outlook on life) were still there. I had to work on those and cope with them. AA helped me with that. Helped me a lot. Would I have remained sober if I had not worked on those things? Who knows. My chances of doing that might have been less. AA has then helped me a lot, even though I might not be an example of a "straight arrow" guy who always did it by the Big Book. You might say I muddled through. Maybe someone upstairs was helping me do that.

W.