Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Nobody is forced to work the 12 Steps. For some people, when all else fails, the program, worked properly, keeps them sober.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. I suggest that you go, keep an open mind.

I've stayed sober for two years without yet working the steps (though I am starting very soon with my sponsor). I am doing it because I am now seeing that my life is screwed up in a lot of ways, and if I don't do the work, maybe I WILL drink again. The steps are a program for healthy living.

If you aren't working the steps, you don't really NEED a sponsor, and some people won't agree to sponsor someone not working the steps.

You are welcome to go to meetings and listen, and to share about your problems with alcohol. The only thing you need to remember is to be respectful of the program during meetings. A meeting isn't the appropriate place to debate the program or openly disagree with it. You are free to hold any opinions you like at all times, but some people NEED the AA message, so out of respect for them, you need to express your disagreements outside the meeting itself.