Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, Klar,

One other book I recommend that does a very good job of explaining what alcoholism is, is "Under the Influence." There's a collection of excerpts from the book here. The whole book is very educational--I loaned it to my boss once, when we were concerned about a co-worker who was showing all the symptoms. The book explains very clearly what the disease is (so far as it's understood, which is to say not completely).

What I have shared with family members has been pretty much on a "need to know" basis and also has varied with the length of my sobriety. I didn't tell ANYONE in my family until I had 90 days sober (if I'd been married or living with someone I probably would have told that person), mainly because I wanted to feel like I was off to a good, solid beginning first. I first told my ex-husband, who has been sober 30 years. We are still good friends and he has been VERY supportive. A month or so later I told my college-age kids (who live out of State with their dad). I told them when I was visiting them for Christmas. They thought it was good I quit drinking, but they think AA is "weird". I haven't told my brother because I see him about once a year and talk to him only three or four times a year. I haven't told my dad because I rarely see him, he never saw me drinking to excess, and at 81 years old it would only be one more thing for him to worry about. If I had a good reason to tell my brother, I would.

Glad to have you here with us.