Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Klar: Been thinking it over some more and let me add a P.S. to my earlier message. You probably know or sense that there are folks, either in or out of your family, who for one reason or another, may not "get it" and even may not really want to "get it". The latter may have their own personal agendas, such as maintaining a group of drinking buddies, or maybe seeking companionship which covers up or rationalizes their own hidden fears about the way they drink. So they may express doubt or try to persuade you that you don't have a problem with alcohol. All I can say is "Figure out what you want to do with your life. Don't buy into their stuff!" You're the boss. Don't let them influence you as to what you want to do. For example, if you don't want to drink then don't take "just one glass of wine, beer, etc." just to please them or to "fit in".
The second thing is this. What I wouldn't give to turn the clock back and be right where you are now! You have the intelligence and know how to realize that you may have a problem with alcohol. You seem to be in the early stages. Not so much time has gone by that your ailment has built up those walls of denial which make it so hard later on to change. When those walls get really high then it may take something truly horrible, like jail, killing someone by accident, losing a job, losing a spouse or companion, etc. to "hit bottom". You may not have to go through all that. I only wish that, sixty years ago, I had been where you were and that I had had the good sense to do what you are thinking about doing.
Good for you! Congratulations and every good wish in the world!

wp