Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Big welcome to you Klar:
As far as telling your family all I can say is that my experience is that you don't really have to do this unless you feel comfortable doing it. All you need say if offered a drink is "I'm doing only soft drinks for awhile because that makes it easier for me to work out and do the training for my physical stuff, etc." There is no rule which requires you to drink just because other folks are doing that. And if they pressure you you can just laugh it off. Josh them back, etc. I once had a friend who insisted at dinner time that I disclose everything about myself, since, he said, "he understood all about it" (his son is a recovering alcoholic). I just said, "I'd rather not discuss personal stuff if you don't mind so let's just change the subject." He did. Just don't make it into a big deal and they'll back off. And if they don't then you may find useful what AA says about "People, Places and Things". If any of these interfere with your sobriety, then you don't have to put up with that. Make your own plans. Don't permit other folks to tell you how you're going to live your life. Same thing goes for your friend. Sure, recommend some stuff for her to read but if she doesn't "get it", then you can laugh and say, "Hey! I guess you don't "get it"! (Like some men who keep thinking that women should stay in the kitchen, cook, look beautiful and shut up. They don't "get it" either. Too bad for them.).