Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AmericanGirl
April 18, 2010

Klar, a big welcome to you!

I think Zbear and Lilda (and all the others) make good points about family. I'm in a very similar situation to yours in terms of family. I've been sober a little over four months now and seen them a couple times (usually I don't see them that often, since I live far away). I think you should do whatever you think will be best for dealing with your family; for my family, I did not want to make them feel defensive, because I did not want to be criticized, so I keep things to a minimum -- "I'm not drinking right now" and then "I'm still not drinking." I've talked to them a little bit more in small doses about why, but the truth is that at the end of the day some of my family members have an image of "alcoholism" as meaning you're in the gutter with no teeth left, and, to be blunt, they have that image to protect themselves from thinking about their own drinking. It's not my job to convert them or teach them how to live . . . I do hope that if they are considering changing their ways I can be a good example, but that's about all I can hope. Good luck. I know how difficult this can be.