View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RobertHugh
Grouch and Brainstorm

Hi Porcelina, and welcome.

It's great that you are reaching out for help, and I'm sorry, but not completely surprised, that you tried AA and found it depressing.

I needed to get clear on my relationship with alcohol, which for me meant understanding that I was powerless over it. It did not matter that I didn't drink every day, or that I wasn't drunk in the gutter-- I always went back to it, and when I did, I could not predict what would happen.

This last sentence-- always going back to it, and not being able to predict what will happen-- is key in determining anyone's relationship with alcohol.

It's incredibly counter-intuitive for humans to admit powerlessness. The word suggests defeat and weakness, an inability to take care of oneself.

So rather than admit that, I continued the power struggle with alcohol. How could a substance be more powerful than me? It was crazy.

And yet, with astonishing predictability, I lost that battle. And then someone told me that by admitting my powerlessness, I could begin the process of finding a power that would relieve me of this maddening obsession.

So, I suggest that you really look at your relationship with alcohol. What goes on prior to the binges? Have you ever had success in not drinking? What were you doing then? I think Carol made a good suggestion of trying to talk to a professional as well.

I'm grateful that I know the answer, and it's simple. Because I then was able to get about the business of saving myself. And it was through AA that I did so-- not necessarily the meetings you were disappointed in, but the recovery process of the 12 steps.