Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
posiesperson

Hm. My exA swore up, down and sideways she could "moderate" and only drink at parties and social events. SWORE that that would be it. Did alternative therapies. Consulted psychics and got her liver function tests done. We watched movies that included raging alcoholics and she pointed out that she couldn't possibly be an alcoholic after seeing how "drunks" act on the big screen. All of that reinforced her belief that she was NOT, in fact, an alcoholic, even though she couldn't stop drinking alone--because she "deserved" it after a difficult/painful day, because if I "had lived the same type of childhood" I would drink too, because I was so controlling.... So much for "social events". Moderation, in my option and experience, is a farce.

I still miss her sometimes, and interestingly enough it's when I'm least expecting it. In fact, as I read this thread there is some part of me that STILL thinks, "Gee, if only she read this thread, she would know she's not alone...maybe she'd get help THEN." Blah, blah, blah. Point well taken, Lexie, thanks.

And hugs to you, Charlie. Thanks for the topic.
posie