View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hurtbad2505

A pattern I have noticed

My AS at one time had his life in good order, 6 months of sobriety, awesome job, hope for the future....worked this job for a little over a month and relapsed on Xanax, went to work under the influence...sent home...fired...suddenly he was back at the bottom, wondering what 'bad luck' had befallen him to get him there..

My Brother is an alcoholic, has been through 3 treatment programs, lost his marriage and the love and respect of his son, demoted at work and close to getting fired completely. Lots of relapses later he finally goes to a 90 day treatment and continues with AA, working the steps, doing well at work, etc..almost a year sober. Within the last month or so he and his GF have been making plans to get married, buy a house, etc. Life looked good and then bam...relapse again..Big Time. I hear is is driving around drunk with booze in the car, back to being banned from visiting his daughter and grandchildren because of his drunken behavior. GF is about done with 'one more last chance' for him. She ask him what set him off to drink again and he told her that was something she had to figure out herself. (I printed out and gave her a stack of posts and stickys from this site

Has anyone else noticed their A doing this kind of 'sabatoge' to their life when it finally starts falling into place??

Is there something in the addict brain that makes them afraid of success and happiness? Is it the stress of 'keeping their sobriety'.? I don't get it..?