View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lildawg

I know how tempting it is. You did a great job of just walking away. It's like you won a battle or something.

My husband drinks daily. My quit didn't slow him down a bit. He just got a designated driver and half-off on the bar bill. To his credit, he's never drunk or obnoxious.

He is, however, one of those drinkers who is going to drink, period. When we make the two hour trip to see my folks, he packs a cooler and chugs the whole way there and back. If we got stopped, we'd get a nice, juicy ticket for open container, even though I'm the one driving. The Serenity prayer comes in handy because this falls under the list of things I cannot change. <sigh>

Husband brews his own beer and actually asks me to smell it and critique the way it smells. He makes his own wine and mead, too. At times, he needs my help with these hobbies, so I get a lot of hands-on exposure.

There are times when what he's made smells really good, and I'd love to try one. I know I can't, though, unless I want the nightmare ride to start again. Thank the powers that be, my husband never, ever offers me a drink.

It's crazy. I have such mixed emotions about the whole thing. On one hand, I get sick and tired his drinking. On the other hand, it's a good object lesson for me. Watching him drink reminds me I'm not the most important person in the world.

Nobody has to change his behavior just because I'm a drunk. I am a little fish in a big pond. <repeat, repeat, repeat>

But, yes, there are days it's a real battle to walk past that bottle. Again, you did a fine job.