Thread: Lost in my life
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
megseggs

Lost in my life

My H and I have been married for just under 2 years. He has always been a drinker but I thought that would end when he graduated college and moved out of the "boys" house. It hasn't it has just changed. As his buddies have "grown up" and had kids they have stopped drinking as a rule. When we get together they have a few drinks but H doesn't know when to quite. Its like to is missing that switch in his head that says I have had way to much to drink I should stop now. He is even drinking on weeknights by himself, and not just one or two drinks but getting hammered. On weekends if we don't have plans, he "tele-drinks" According to him if he is talking to one of his friends on the phone, its not drinking alone. When we fight he makes me feel as if I am in the wrong. I am no fun, I am over reacting, I need to loosen up. I used to enjoy going out with our friends but it has become me always having to drag him home, so I cant even have fun anymore. What if I walk and it sets him deeper. i have threatened it and things change for a little bit but we are always back to square one. The amount of stupid things he has done while drunk is unbelievable. Now he keeps telling me he will quit when we have kids but I cannot risk bringing a kid into this. So round and round we go.

I read somewhere that I shouldn't leave, shouldn't fight, shouldn't help him. I should let him make a fool of himself, and me and let him figure it out for himself. I don't know if I can take that back seat. I don't know if its the right thing to do. And if I walk, do I have to wait for the next stupid thing he does or do I just leave? Just looking for a little advice from some people that have been through this. i don't have any family or friends that can relate and its always so easy for them to look inside and come up with the "right" answer which according to my sister is always divorce.

Thanks