Thread: First Day Back
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovery1983

Hey LadyB,

I'm a retread myself. After going to rehab, I stayed abstinent from alcohol for 10 months and relapsed on New Year's Eve. From Jan. to Mar., I tried to cut the drinking but only to end up in the same vicious cycle that I had been in before going into rehab. My program is AA and it is working for me. I am actually living sober and being proactive in my recovery.

You'll notice that I used the word abstinent rather than sober after leaving the rehab. I say that because during those 10 months, I did not go to meetings like they suggested and I was not proactive in any program. I just didn't drink and it made my life miserable.

In my experience, going to rehab was one expensive AA meeting. In your post, you make it sound like rehab is the last resort and that it will solve your problems. I hate to break it to you but it wont. It will keep you sober for the amount of days you are in the treatment center but after you leave, it will be all up to you to stay sober. Go to meetings every day and do not drink between those meetings. You sound like you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. That is how I felt this last time around. I went into AA and just let my guard down. I did the opposite of everything I did the last time around. I stopped being stubborn. I started to concentrate on the similarities and not the differences. I wish you well.