Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by mmccoy View Post
I don't know what to do. My gut tells me to just cut communication. I don't want my daughter to think this is love. I can't depend on him to call or follow through and I don't like telling her daddy is about to call and then that time comes for him to call and he doesn't. I'd rather her not know him like this. I'd rather tell her positive things and truthful things about him and let her know that if he gets himself together he will "be back". His family is telling me that I'm wrong if I decide this and that she will hate me eventually (however they were also the ones that said it's my job to help him get sober and I should leave my daughter with them so I can go to AA with him!).

Can anyone offer any advice??
I am divorced. I had to remember that my expectations for my ex were not the same as my childs expectations for the dad. My expectations were those of an adult. My childs expectations were those of a young child that wants to love their parent unconditionally.

At 2, your daughter may not have the same sense of time-telling that you have. At her age, she may not understand the difference between "Dad will call you every other day" and "Dad will call every third day". A child does not understand calendar dates like we do.

It may help to let her know that daddy will call when he can. Be happy for her on the days she gets a call. And be happy for her on the days she gets to stay focused on her life with you.

I hope you and your daughter will build a peaceful life together in your new community. Have you considered finding a local Alanon meeting for face to face support? I moved, and one of the first things I looked for in my new community was Alanon meetings. Those meetings and SR have helped me to learn to make better choices for myself and my children.