Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mmccoy

Advice about my daughter's relationship w/ Alcohlic Husband

To make a long story short...I recently left my husband in another state to bring my 2 year old daughter to be raised closer to my family. I didn't have family where we were previously living and I'd tried for the first 2 yrs of our daughter's life to raise her by myself (with very little help from him in any way...he technically stopped living with us when she was 4 months old but would still come around 3-4 days a week to see her). Once we moved (several states away) he stayed away expect for a few calls or texts for ME not her. After about a month (and a few weeks of me not returning his calls) he decided he wanted to talk to her more. I agreed as long as he was sober and was consistent. His consistency lasted a few weeks. Then he disappeared for a few days with no calls. He gave a lame excuse and then started calling her daily again. Recently though he disappeared again for a full week. This time she asked for him frequently and even finally told me one day "mommy daddy all gone." After a week he resurfaced with an excuse about his phone being turned off. I couldn't even respond. I don't like seeing him hurt my daughter. I decided after a few days of thinking that I would let him talk to her. He text me that it was "killing him" to be away from her and would call everyday no matter what. They spoke briefly because she didn't want to talk. He told her he would call the next day...and then didn't. He text me the following afternoon saying he had been stuck on the train and would call that night.

I don't know what to do. My gut tells me to just cut communication. I don't want my daughter to think this is love. I can't depend on him to call or follow through and I don't like telling her daddy is about to call and then that time comes for him to call and he doesn't. I'd rather her not know him like this. I'd rather tell her positive things and truthful things about him and let her know that if he gets himself together he will "be back". His family is telling me that I'm wrong if I decide this and that she will hate me eventually (however they were also the ones that said it's my job to help him get sober and I should leave my daughter with them so I can go to AA with him!).

Can anyone offer any advice??