View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
meditation

As a recovering addict I attend AA and NA. Step work is not group therapy. In fact most of the people in AA are very vocal about the meetings being ESH and not turning into group therapy. In rehab I went to we delved into cognitive therapy to understand why we used and it did help me. I know that this is HIS program of recovery but he won't find group therapy at an AA meeting or an NA meeting. Some meetings are very dysfunctional and I don't get anything but old drinking and drugging stories or people wanting to air out personal problems that have nothing to do with the being an alcoholic or an addict.
Your bf has to be the one to seek additional help besides step meetings. Step meetings can be great but maybe he needs more. This though is his thing to fix and don't accept any blame for what he does to himself or doesn't do. And some meetings just aren't healthy but it is on him to find meetings that meet more of his needs. It feels great to be needed and I understand that. I am a nurse, I have made a professional career out of wanting to be needed. Work on your recovery.