View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tormentedmirror
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
From looking back at your previous posts, your daughter still has quite a long way to go before she comes home. She's only been there a few days. While she is there, you might want to make up some "house rules" for when she gets home.

Regarding anything else, it might be good to wait until she actually gets home and see what her attitude is like. If she truly wants to continue with recovery, you will see it in her actions. At that point, you can support her in her efforts. If her attitude is in any way defiant, you might want to take a look at the list of rules you have made. The main point I am trying to make is to make HER responsible for her own recovery. It is not something you can do for her. We should never be willing to put more effort into it than the addict is willing to put in themselves.

I definitely agree with nar-anon or al-anon meetings for you and possibly other members of your family.
This is helpful. I think rules and boundaries are important. If you could elaborate, that would be helpful as well.

Responsibilities in the household?
Curfew?
Again, I need ideas, direction.

I stopped imposing rules when she became an adult, before I made the gradual dissent into denial. I do feel that rules should be imposed as "while you live in our home", but at the same time I'm not sure how to go about doing that so that it would be well received.