View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Toronto68

There were a couple of times I walked a couple of miles round trip to bring some back after I was too tipsy to drive. Only a 12-pack, since that was enough to get by. I had that "I'm screwed!" feeling when I realized too late that I didn't have a sufficient stock for the night, and I already had 3 or 4 beers in me. I even had the ability to say to myself that if I wanted it that badly, I should have to walk to get it. I remember being really nervous that I appeared too intoxicated to be allowed to purchase any. I got away with it though - whether or not I composed myself, only the clerk and God know. That was probably 2 or 3 years ago.

I can't recall very many different "heroic measures" taken to get more alcohol.

When it comes to store rotation, yes, that's one of my favorite topics about our silliness. Once or twice, when a long weekend was coming up, I got some stock at one store, and then drove to one of my alternates to get some more; then lugged it all in. What a genius.

What's sad for me is the fact that I had a system in place to avoid things like that the vast majority of the time. Robotically buying it every day; managing that stock better than anything else in the house. Plenty of times I would say, No, don't waste your money on ordering in tonight; no, you can get groceries tomorrow; no, I'm too tired for that, just go home (or stay home). Yet it was OK to hit the beer store to make sure I was never "screwed". I would picture how many were in the fridge while at work.

Talking about this reminds me of Johnny Cash singing "I'm free from the chain gang now..."