Thread: Sick Mother
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

Sorry if I misunderstood. It helps a lot to know the rest of the story. Your first posts were rather focused on her alcoholism and read like that was your concern and what you wanted to help with. Now I see it is medical issues and dementia. I still challenge that unless trained by a nurse or home health aide that your not able to most adequately provide medical care and cognitive care..but there's tons of home care agencies that exist to keep medically fragile people in their home as long as possible. Not sure if they will help if she is actively alcoholic (and therefore likely non compliant with her medical care), but try googling your local Center for Independent Living, or the Department of Human Services to ask about what's called Home and Community Based Services (a waiver program that provides care for prople in their own home as opposed to nursing home placement). Course if you're not inthe US, none of that will help but you have the idea.

It would have been very helpful to know you were taking her in for medical reasons, and not to help with her alcoholism from the get go.

Take care!!