Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Originally Posted by spryte View Post

It's not so much the words as it is the question: what helps you get sober? (I think. Maybe?)
Strive to be spiritually fit every day. Work steps 4-9 every day. You can simplify doing steps 4-9 everyday by reading pages 84 starting on line 16 after the promises all the way through page 88.

In the middle to bottom on page 84 it mentions, "Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear" (step 4).

"When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them" (steps 6-7).

"We discuss them with someone immediately (step 5) and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone" (steps 8-9).

So by doing step 10 you're actually doing steps 4-9.

By the time you get to page 86 you're into step 11. It tells you exactly how to start your day, "Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives."

As you read pages 86-88 it tells you how how to carry on throughout the day.

I personally read pages 84-88 everyday as a design for living. No need to read the 24 hour book or anything else for the design for living. By doing so I'm aware of my defects that I tend to hide and I can enter and stay into the world of the spirit (fourth dimension) through out the day if I follow what it says on pages 84-88.

If I read other parts of the Big Book or any other literature it's always optional and after I read pages 84-88. Pages 84-88 is mandatory for me everyday. This is what helps me get and stay sober.

All BB Quotes...First Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 08-10-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline