Thread: step 2
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ananda View Post

can and will god help me is the question that step 2 asks me.

and where i keep falling short.
I've been inventorying and that's something that I've noticed has been coming up in my writing a lot. Sometimes, I believe God CAN but don't necessarily believe He WILL.

My first place to look is step 1 - Do I reeeeeeally believe my life is unmanageable? Do I really believe I can't manage my own life? Do I really believe I'M NOT the higher power?

Fortunately, my "problems" are usually in my answer to one of those questions. Typically, my "problems" in life, in the steps, what have you... tend to go back to me believing I can run "this" or "that" part of my life....on my own.....with no interference or help from God. It doesn't "feel good" to realize I think in those terms - I don't "like" that I think that way.... but.... that's me. lol.

The "will He" part, to me, boils down to faith. I need more faith.....or "better" faith. The only way I've figured out how to get that is to pray for more faith and to "act as if" I have the faith I don't yet have. And that "acting as if" can be scary, real scary sometimes. Given my history, I don't typically like doing things that scare me.....but I'm learning the more I do, the more my faith grows, so the more I tend to believe He WILL take care of me.

Once again......I have to be "into action" to get the tools I need to feel comfortable about being "into action" in the first place. Basically, it boils down to just doing stuff I don't want to do or necessarily feel comfortable about doing to get some practical experience in growing my faith.