View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Louie
Paused

Hello June,

Well June, don't know if this makes you feel better, but I did exactly the same thing. Sunday night (July 4th) I wanted to stay home and have my friends come over - grill food and watch fireworks (you can see an excellent show really well from my patio). I was going on my 4th day.

They decided they wanted to go to a party instead of come over - but invited me to come along. I was really disappointed, because I knew it would be easier for me not to drink with just the 3 of us hanging out then going to a big party were almost everyone is drinking.

Just like you, I wasn't really bad. Had 3 also over several hours. The 4th one I opened just didn't taste good - so I threw it out and stopped. I was proud of myself in the aspect that I at least controlled my drinking. It does make it very difficult when everyone around you is drinking.

I thought about all the negatives of alcohol in addition to how it affects me - like no nutritional value, empty calories, the damage it does to my body, the cost and how I would rather spend the money. I actually made a list Monday morning of why I don't want to drink - all the negatives for me to carry around so I could pull it out and remind myself why I don't want to drink.

Saturday (July 3rd) I did meet the same friends at a bar for a couple of hours- I was good that night though and just drank water and tea. I did feel a little restless and fidgitty. Part of it is habit as well. It just didn't feel right not having a bottle or a drink in my hand. I wanted to know I could do it (be in that environment and not drink) even if it wasn't for very long.

Okay, now I am rambling. Guess I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I did the same thing. So here's to starting over (toast with H20)!