View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
wicked

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
Excellent way to express the truth of being in a relationship with an addict and what enabling is. No matter what you do, you can't stop an addiction train wreck. And you can't convince someone to get off the train before they are ready. And giving someone cushions and making sure they have lots of friends and comfort while they are on the train certainly isn't going to convince them to exit any time sooner.
I want to take the addiction train wreck analogy a little further.
Hi, I am a recovering alcoholic and my ex husband is a crack addict, dealt with it for many years, my denial won't let me think how many.

You are standing over the addict, buckling him in safely, putting pillows all around him for the impact you know is coming. He doesnt even see you or acknowledge your presence, because he has some crack to smoke.
The addiction train is heading for that brick wall, but you are trying to get the addict to stop smoking and be safe, standing there, not protecting yourself at all.

We can get off this train! Lets do it! Heres the door!
Addict says, uh no, and takes another hit.

BAM!!! Train hits the brick wall, the impact throws you to the front of the train, breaking every bone in your body.
Rescue workers come to peel your poor broken body (spirit) off the engine room door.
You ask "How is my addict?"
The rescue workers say, "He is fine, he is on his hands and knees searching for the rock he lost when he felt a "bump" in his ride."

This is what my life was like. Getting thrown into the engine door and the crack got chosen everytime. Everytime.